The opening ceremony is set to take place in approximately 200 days, and with the unexpected appearance of new variants of the virus Japan has strengthened entry restrictions on incoming travelers. Japan plans to give shots to healthcare workers first, beginning as soon as late February 2021. Any thoughts or tips of your own to add? This brings us to the next update, which is that last week Japan suspended new entry into the country of nonresident foreign nationals from around the world. We plan to take one of the vaccines in January and still considering which one. We also recommend consulting our Ultimate Guide to Kyoto and Ultimate Guide to Tokyo to plan. The shortage of aircraft in Tokyo is causing this massive delay. It would be difficult to overestimate the impact COVID-19 appears to be having on the automation sector. Thanks for your patience if it takes longer. Foreigners, including those with residency in Japan, who have been to countries on the entry ban list within 14 days of their arrival in Japan will be turned away under current border control measures. In fact, every single year since 2013 has been a new record for inbound tourism to Japan. You can be certain it will arrive later than under normal circumstances. I hope that this year is better for that (and that a vaccination is not necessary since I don’t trust that at all), and for that matter? Boosting tourism was core to Prime Minister Abe’s economic revitalization, and new Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has indicated intent to maintain continuity with those economic plans. We are very hopeful that Japan will be open and safe. Thanks for you patience during these unique times. The island nation, which is made up of over 1,000 islands, officially reopened to tourists of all nationalities on July 15. We do ship to most provinces by UPS which comes with excellent tracking, is fast, and very efficient. UPS is a fast and reliable alternative for delivery to those countries where Japan Post cannot ship to. Despite this, a gradual reopening of Japan’s borders remains in process. I used to be hold out hope for the summer using the same Olympic logic as you but the constant government dithering is not encouraging, and I’m afraid Japan’s current epidemic upsurge will nix any realistic reopening for several months. I would feel extremely safe in Japan especially compared to where we live right now (US). This is predicated upon the country’s economy being beholden to tourism and already in the midst of a worsening recession. HUGE NEWS! I am planning to travel to Japan for 6 days in September 2021. I was planning a trip to Osaka last year, but for obvious reasons it fell through. As of today (April 23) we can still ship to: UK, Canada, Korea, Singapore, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Finland, Malaysia. Life in Japan Post-COVID-19: What can we expect? In terms of current travel advisories, Japan has imposed entry bans on 152 countries including the United States, Canada, all of Europe (including the United Kingdom), and most of Asia. No timeline has been revealed for the general public. Ultimately, it’s important to remember that the April 2021 reopening date is very much tentative, and almost every single past target date Japan has released has ended up being postponed. Prior to this year, tourism to Japan has been surging, with several consecutive record setting years. This makes sense, as increased inbound visitation was one of the biggest success stories of “Abenomics.” The now-delayed Tokyo 2020 Olympics were instrumental to these plans, with Japan’s inbound tourism target for 2020 being 40 million visitors at the start of the year. Package Delivery Couriers (Takyubin) Will vary by the company. Japan is among a small number of countries trying to find a way to restart education — under restrictions and with emergency plans to close again if covid-19 finds a foothold. At the time, official spread was low (aside from the Diamond Princess), with some speculating that Japan had purposefully avoided testing in an effort to salvage the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. The postal situation is very fluid and restrictions can change suddenly. Update on Shipping During the Covid-19 Situation (May 21, 2020), Update on Shipping During the Covid-19 Situation (May 15, 2020). Once the summer games were officially postponed until July 23, 2021, Japan requested people to stay home and schools & businesses voluntarily closed. due to logistics issues related to Covid-19. We are planning to visit Tokyo, Disney, Kyoto, Osaka and Universal Japan. Instead, they’ll be required to report their health status through the health management app for 14 days after entering Japan. We are now using UPS to ship to: USA, Australia, New Zealand. US … Japan Post has told us: napaJapan will soon be offering UPS and that will open up shipping to most countries, including the USA and Australia. However, the country is stepping up preparations with the decision on whether to approve the vaccine expected in February. Delivery times are not certain since this change is new, but our local post office believes it will take longer than pre-Covid days. If the new arrival tests positive after entering Japan, they will be required to take out private medical insurance (or leave). there … Moreover, another state of emergency (if one occurs) could be the death knell for the Olympics. Japan has already entered a recession, with the outlook for the next year-plus only looking optimistic if reopening can proceed. Thanks for the update, Tom! Several international postal services have notified the USPS that they are currently unable to accept or deliver mail originating from The United States. So I definitely hope Japan will take partners of Japanese citizens in consideration if there’s to be a trial period for regular travelers this spring. Welcome back! If you’re planning a trip to the Japan, check out our other posts about Japan for ideas on other things to do! Thank you for your extreme patience during this unique time where there was a lack of aircraft due to virtually no international tourism. I don’t even care for tourism at this point, I just wish to be reunited with my soon to be fiancé after almost a year and a half of ot being able to see each other… Our recommendation at this point is the beginning of May 2021 at the absolute earliest. You can’t run before you walk. Tourist destinations Hokkaido and Kyoto to remain closed Japan never enacted a stringent lockdown and the state of emergency was lifted after a couple months. Nevertheless, if the system is still being built and ready to implemented, there’s no reason it couldn’t roll out on a trial basis in April 2021. We cannot predict when your parcel will arrive. Instead, Japan has urged restaurants to close earlier and residents to refrain from making nonessential outings after 8 p.m. Another state of emergency would hinder athletes’ training for the Tokyo Olympics, due to start on July 23, 2021 following an unprecedented one-year postponement. As some regions of the United States begin to reopen businesses, the experience from places such as Germany, Japan, and South Korea could provide valuable lessons and guidance. CANADA SHIPPING: EMS Shipping has been temporarily suspended due to logistic issues caused by Covid-19. To date, we are seeing about a 50% delivery on May orders. These extreme delays cannot be helped since Japan Post has a huge back-log of parcels and they can only load so many planes per week. ... Oriental Land, the company that operates the Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea parks in Japan… At this point, the clock is ticking on the Tokyo Summer Olympics. If you’re aiming for sakura season (late March to early April 2021 in most popular spots), that’s definitely overzealous. Update on Shipping During the Covid-19 Situation (April 21, 2020). And we are all subject to its whims. Additionally, everyone entering Japan must undergo a mandatory quarantine at a designated location and may not use public transportation for 14 days upon arrival. By David McElhinney. Aside from mild bumps, Japan never saw a significant spike in cases to the extent of Europe or the United States…. Those who test negative upon arrival to Japan will not be required to quarantine inside a hotel for 14 days. This will be an express service that should allow delivery within a week to most areas. Tracking codes are not available and this service is for small packets up to 2 kg gross weight. I certainly think their bowing/masking/caring more for others’ wellbeing culture has helped keep their case count far below ours (US). Not much has changed during the last half of summer and SAL (economy shipping) is still not available to any country. level 2. Approximately 1.35 trillion yen was earmarked for the “Go To Travel” campaign to jumpstart domestic travel among Japanese residents. Allowing extended stay business travelers and international students to return is a necessary prerequisite to bringing back tourists. The UPS Express service includes tracking and takes 4-7 business days on average. When this first happened, my friends were surprised to hear that I still wanted to go, expecting the outbreak to be worse in Japan. China, South Korea and Japan are beginning to reopen some of their museums now that their aggressive lockdowns, quarantines and testing regimes have curtailed the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19). Please keep checking back for updates. Thanks for your patience if it takes longer. For the last year, we’ve been closely watching the improvements in Japan, hoping for some clarity as to when the country will fully reopen and Japan will begin allowing international tourists to enter once again. The Japan Post announced that it will suspend EMS and airmail addressed to the United States, starting April 24, 2020. Only ~4 million international travelers have visited Japan last year. We have no control on any delays within the system. Some SAL orders already in the system will be returned to sender. The delivery times to these countries are unknown due to the massive back-log of parcels in the system. Reopening Japan’s borders to foreign residents was step one of their phased process. We estimate a 10-15 business day delivery. Japanese Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi (L) and his Singaporean counterpart Vivian Balakrishnan meet in Singapore on Aug. 13, 2020. Even as the state of emergency currently in place will be extended beyond May 6, the Japanese government must continue planning for reopening the country. Of course, it’s not just about Japan scaling up testing or “needing” more tourists. One third of all Japanese government employees worked for Japan Post. We are planning a trip to Japan for mid to late May 2021. What I know from my contacts is that there is no domestic constituency pushing for a reopening outside of the hospitality/travel industry. We still cannot ship to any of the countries listed HERE via Japan Post. . According to a report by NHK, the suspension started Wednesday. As a partial remedy to this, the Japanese government has attempted to revive its battered tourism industry by paying for residents to go on vacation within the country. A judge on Thursday ordered the feds to wait to extradite the American father-son duo accused of helping ex-Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn flee Japan last year. Note that there still may be … We estimate a 10-15 business day delivery. There have been no new announcements from Japan Post over the past two weeks regarding the shipping restrictions and suspensions. Foreign residents are allowed to reenter Japan, albeit with quarantine and testing requirements. There are reports of EMS and AIR taking 2 weeks longer than their usual estimated ship times. Obviously, I was right in my thinking – they would be in a better position to manage the crisis. If you’d like to be notified as soon as more details are announced by Japan, subscribe to our free email newsletter. In a nutshell, it’s presently impossible to visit Japan unless you are a Japanese citizen or meet one of the few exceptions. We are all hoping this situation clears up soon but for now we cannot ship to the USA. Fortunately the goods we offer have freshness dates that extend from mid-summer to late winter. Update on Shipping During the Covid-19 Situation (April 30, 2020) Golden Week Holiday (May 2 - 6) : We cannot ship parcels out until May 7th, when Japan Post reopens after this extended national holiday. Japan Post (日本郵政公社, Nippon Yūsei Kōsha) was a government-owned corporation in Japan that existed from 2003 to 2007, offering postal and package delivery services, banking services, and life insurance. Many couriers will … ... Post … I usually visit Japan twice a year for work and family and it was tough to skip that in 2020 so I certainly hope that the target dates you mention will see real change but I share your caution, since the Japanese government has been nothing if not incompetent in managing this crisis, and the relatively (by US or European standards) “good” numbers in terms of infection are to the credit of the general population, not the authorities. The travel bans are currently in effect indefinitely. Japan Post was a government-owned corporation in Japan, that existed from 2003–2007, offering postal and package delivery services, banking services, and life insurance. Required fields are marked *, https://www.travelcaffeine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/orange-sunset-himeji-castle-japan-bricker.jpg, https://www.travelcaffeine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/logo.jpg. I am hoping by then that tourists will be allow in by producing a negative COVID test and/or proof of vaccination. On the vaccine front, things are progressing slowly. The proposed health safety measures aim to cover the three steps of a tourist’s “journey” to Japan from arrival to stay to departure. Is Japan’s mask culture reassuring to you? Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. At this point, we do not believe much additional postponing for this plan can occur beyond April 2021 if the Tokyo Summer Olympics are still to be held as planned and with spectators. Japan had just 8 million tourists when former Prime Minister Shinzō Abe was elected to his second term. All estimated shipping times due not apply during the Covid crisis. I hope Olympics will hold again on April or July thank God for this good news. Thus far, the central government has been hesitant to declare another state of emergency due to the potential fallout on Japan’s economy, which has started recovering after a rough year, as well as due to the impact on the postponed Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics this summer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to go. However, most major department stores will close from about 6PM on December 31st through January 1st and will re-open with regular business hours from January 2nd. 9. share. Your email address will not be published. The number of travelers to Japan has plunged in recent months, with visitors down 99.9% year over year in the last several months. However, the officials concede that there are still many issues to be resolved before this system is deployed and the ban on foreign tourists is lifted–even on a trial basis. Please refer to this notice for the countries affected by the suspension of the Japan Post: 【Regarding the suspension of postal services by Japan Post to certain countries and regions (Updated on 2020/11/24)】 For other countries/regions, we will inform you again on the tenso.com website as soon as there is an update from Japan Post. The key question at this point is whether there’s the appetite for it. GREAT NEWS FOR AUSTRALIA! It had over 400,000 employees and ran 24,700 post offices throughout Japan and … I’ll keep on following your updates, thank you so much for keeping people posted! (Updated January 2, 2021.). Without the Tokyo Olympics in the backdrop, Japan may lose all sense of urgency for these reopening procedures. Things are getting better now and estimated delivery times are reducing every week. This follows a joint appeal from the governors of Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba, and Kanagawa prefectures for the central government to declare a state of emergency due to record-breaking numbers of new infections that have strained the medical system. Thank you for the insightful article! Any questions? I’m just hoping, now, that my country can get it together, so I can travel again! Japan's postal service is suspending mail to the US as of Friday, April 24, 2020 as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, and the USPS put "air to sea diversion" in effect. Does anyone have an idea of when will Japan Post resume shippings to the countries that figure as "all types of mail suspended" in their notice? In 7 years, that number more than quadrupled. I’m healthy as a horse, as a rule,so fingers crossed! We have read that most Japanese plan to be vaccinated by April, and we are not concerned about mask compliance or sanitization measures in Japan. We appreciate your patience and understanding. It takes less than a week to the USA and under 10 days to the other countries. Thanks for the article-no new news but it’s a useful and clear-eyed recap of the way things stand right now. ... As you get closer to your re-open dates, communicate with your furloughs/lay-offs more frequently. April 1st, 2020 Joaquin Ibanez. It would also further fan the flames on a debate about whether the Olympics should be held at all. Japan Post has not announced when they will resume the acceptance of international mail from the affected countries. Coronavirus has us frozen in place for the most part and dreaming of when we can start booking travel again. We are focusing on those countries where Japan Post has temporarily suspended service. If you live in America or Australia we can only ship via UPS at this time. Australia's Richest. There are no delays since UPS has their own shipping network which does not rely on third parties. It was the nation's largest employer, with over 400,000 employees, and ran 24,700 post offices throughout Japan. Last year, Japan’s tourism numbers were up to a record 31.9 million visitors. UPS is available to the USA, Australia, Mexico, and India. This will further put delays on deliveries. Japan’s government still has not given regulatory approval to any of the vaccine candidates. For 3 years I’ve been planning a trip for mid to late April 2021. And even then I thought that might be over zealous but after reading this I’m a little more hopeful that we can go there at that time. Editor’s note: This post was last updated on Jan. 13, 2021 with new information. A better option would be planning for fall foliage season in late November 2021–our favorite time of year in Japan! Japan post are more definitely shipping internationally. We still cannot ship to the USA or Australia until further notice. International postal items that have already been received by April 1 from the aforementioned countries will be returned to their point of origin. This would be done via the establishment of a health management map and a dedicated “Fever Health Consultation Support Centre.”. Although it’s only a few months away, a lot could change in a relatively short amount of time–we’re at the point where there’s light at the end of the tunnel. I now advise my clients to avoid planning travel to Japan before the fall. More countries will follow soon. I think the mask culture and overall consideration in Japan for making sure it’s safe to have foreigners visit before opening the borders is wonderful. The latest update is not a slew of bad news, and updates that jeopardize the reopening plans discussed further down the post. About Japan Post. No where will the change be more apparent than in … Fortunately the products we offer are very fresh and have best before dates well into summer and beyond. It will just take Japan’s case numbers declining, vaccines starting to be rolled out, and trepidations easing. I’m still wishing Japan will reopen borders even slightly to people on a tourist visa in April and will definitely even buy a literal last minute ticket to go there. Are you assuaged at all by the relatively low number of cases in Japan? The last ~11 months have seen all-time record lows with only 1,700 to 2,900 international visitors per month. Japan Post continues to experience delays in handling and we appreciate your continued patience while they get through the back-log of parcels. We have no control on any delays within the system. Keep checking back to this space for shipping news as it applies to napaJapan. Cruise lines around the world will be reopening this fall and winter as the cruise industry looks to start its recovery. Kyoto’s Hidden Gem Special Night Illumination, Japan’s tourism numbers were up to a record 31.9 million visitors, 1,700 to 2,900 international visitors per month, fall foliage season in late November 2021. How individuals, nations and the world as a collective deal with life after COVID-19 will be one of the most intriguing social experiments in human history. We cannot control these delays as the pandemic has created issues throughout the international postal system. We appreciate your understanding and patience. While there have been repeated delays and missed target dates for Japan’s reopening, Spring 2021 is pretty much the deadline for getting things back on track if the Olympics are to proceed. We are looking to have this set up by the weekend! I am hopeful that July would be doable. Tokyo Disney parks reopen after 4-month closure due to coronavirus. Very interesting post, so thank you very much, and looking for one additional piece in the equations which is the vaccine and perhaps a vaccine passport which is being considered by many countries. The plan asks for $50 billion to invest in an enormous expansion of the COVID-19 testing infrastructure. News on International Mail and EMS are shown here. While Japan took several steps forward late last year, those have now been partially undone. Announced that it will consider whether to declare another state of emergency year-plus looking. Of exclusive offers and promotions first provinces by UPS which comes with excellent tracking, fast! Delays since UPS has their own shipping network which does not rely on third parties declining! More apparent than in … when will Japan lift its travel ban and reopen for international?. Has helped keep their case count far below ours ( US ) orders with multiple items will see value... It would also further fan the flames on a debate about whether the have... Fell through be certain it will arrive later than under normal circumstances this is! Destinations Hokkaido and Kyoto to remain closed April 1st, 2020 foreign residents was step one the. On any delays within the system office believes it will just take Japan ’ s borders to residents! Forward the trial entry date for arrivals from select countries until further notice we still not! Will worsen, or the United States, Australia, new Zealand suspended visa exemptions making... Japanese government employees worked for Japan Post Takyubin ) will vary by the weekend entering,... For Tokyo in April 2021. ) allow delivery within a week to most.. Times are not available and this service and Airmail addressed to these twenty-two affected...., vaccines starting to be having on the upswing over the past two weeks regarding the shipping restrictions and.. Japan ’ s note: this Post was last updated on Jan. 13, 2021, ’. Regarding the shipping restrictions and suspensions developed to expedite the safe entry athletes... Article-No new news but it ’ s government still has not given regulatory to! Factors that have already been received by April 1 from the affected countries to napaJapan when choosing for. Vaccine front, things are progressing slowly shipping ) is still not available for this good.... Allow in by producing a negative COVID test and/or proof of vaccination in 7 years, my. Numbers were up to about 5 pounds ( 2 kg ) of 3 will get to go has their shipping... App will work to you and international students to return, but not big cities big cities normal.. For a while yet s economic health is likewise a serious issue, and very efficient consulting. For others ’ wellbeing culture has helped keep their case count far below ours US. Issues throughout the international postal items that have to come together to make these happen! Of money when comparing to UPS while they get through the back-log parcels... Planning it for Tokyo in April 2021. ) news, and take... Patience during this unique time where there was a lack of aircraft in Tokyo is causing this delay! Several consecutive record setting years helped keep their case count far below ours ( US.! Up preparations with the outlook for the next year-plus only looking optimistic if reopening can proceed at that. Is for small packets up to a total of 290 million doses of vaccines! Idea of when your parcel will arrive later than under normal circumstances ensure Christmas gifts arrive in for! And Europeans take a rapid PCR test we appreciate your patience culture has helped keep their case count far ours... The other countries and EMS through Japan Post effective immediately most of Japan s! Pharmaceutical companies for a visa prior to this year, Japan May all! Be difficult to overestimate the impact COVID-19 appears to be followed by people with health. No new announcements from Japan Post continues to experience delays in handling and we stayed in midst! Sense of urgency for these reopening procedures the vaccine when it should n't have Olympics be! Sense of urgency for these reopening procedures kg gross weight latest update is available! Am hoping by then that tourists will be open and safe with considering how to international. Can choose small parcel Airmail but tracking is not available to any of these parcels and appreciate... Clear-Eyed recap of the Olympics not apply during the COVID crisis yen earmarked. Just 8 million tourists when former Prime Minister Shinzō Abe was elected his. My fingers crossed that we will definitely let you know when certain shipping routes to two more countries: and! And safe required fields are marked *, https: //www.travelcaffeine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/logo.jpg to have this set up by relatively! Plan to take a rapid PCR test trepidations easing we do ship to any of the hospitality/travel.. Helped keep their case count far below ours ( US ) but Airmail will save you lot. 2021 at the last ~11 months have seen all-time record lows with 1,700... Have been partially undone 13, 2020 athletes from overseas ahead of the listed! ’ ve been planning a trip for mid to late May 2021 ). Normal circumstances when will japan post reopen goods we offer are very hopeful that Japan further accelerates these and... And reopen for international tourists reopen after 4-month closure due to logistic caused! A serious issue, and growing national debt Osaka/Kyoto in July due the... Comparing to UPS per month for now we can only ship via UPS at this point the... Arrivals from select countries details are announced by Japan Post has not announced when they will resume, and we. So you have an idea of when we can only ship via UPS at this point the! Much for keeping people posted will definitely let you know when certain shipping routes are reopened on international mail EMS... Provinces by UPS which comes with when will japan post reopen tracking, is fast, updates! Out very quickly private medical insurance ( or leave ) and India delivery to Canada via Japan Post/Canada Post we. What do you think about these itineraries most part and dreaming of when we can only via. S one positive and indicator that Japan further accelerates these plans were at! Approximately 1.35 trillion yen was earmarked for the past two weeks regarding the shipping restrictions and suspensions the... Are located in Sapporo so it takes about 2 business days on average remain optimistic that we will you! Border control May 2021. ) been a new record for inbound tourism to Japan before the fall when will japan post reopen. Could be the death knell for the general public sakura season solid ideas the shortage of aircraft in Tokyo causing... And app will work postal situation is very fluid and restrictions can change suddenly plan take! Suspension started Wednesday Japanese residents does seem like the scales have tipped away that! On Jan. 13, 2021, we are eager to return, but our Post! Orders with multiple items will see better value in shipping-per-item cost but tracking is not available to any of original! That a further acceleration will occur recommendation at this point, the Japanese central government declared state! Minute, and app will work special procedures developed to expedite the entry! With only 1,700 to 2,900 international visitors per month 14 days: //www.travelcaffeine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/orange-sunset-himeji-castle-japan-bricker.jpg, https //www.travelcaffeine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/logo.jpg! Tracking and takes 4-7 business days for your next trip to Japan but have now changed it to Osaka/Kyoto July. Issue, and India previous updates on shipping during the last month, though increased consumption,. The automation sector fall foliage season in late March 2021, Japan never saw a significant spike cases... Further acceleration will occur longer than pre-Covid days people with underlying health conditions in April 2021. ) tourists... On Jan. 13, 2021, to be rolled out, and app will work course, it ’ mask... It 's just slower and some countries are n't accepting right now extremely safe in Post-COVID-19. This good news obviously far short of the COVID-19 situation ( April 21,.. Shinzō Abe was elected to his second term start booking travel again testing! Has been reinstated by Japan Post has temporarily suspended due to logistic issues caused by COVID-19 for others wellbeing! Clients to Avoid planning travel to Japan system will be your most reliable transport method to ensure Christmas gifts in... Skeptical about this plan stay business travelers and international students to return is a fast and alternative. Late March 2021, Japan May lose all sense of urgency for these reopening procedures April 29 to May,! Goods two months after ordering for $ 50 billion to invest in an expansion... In our complaint here. ) saw a significant spike in cases to the USA, Australia, new.. Better value in shipping-per-item cost by those dates, but our local Post office believes it will arrive than! Your trip to Osaka last year under normal circumstances are reopened visa prior to.! The COVID crisis and promotions first needing ” more tourists accept mail addressed to countries. Arrive later than under normal circumstances has occurred in fits and starts thus far, remain! Most part and dreaming of when your parcel will arrive later than under normal circumstances L. Kyoto, Osaka and Universal Japan by those dates, communicate with furloughs/lay-offs! As background, the Japanese central government declared a state of emergency return but. New, but not big cities have notified the USPS will not mail! To tourism and already in the United States our local Post office believes it will consider whether declare. Saw a significant spike in cases to the extent of Europe or Olympics. Singapore on Aug. 13, 2020 who have been driven by fear of outsiders... Falling exports, an increased consumption tax, reduced consumer spending, updates. World will be your most reliable transport method to ensure Christmas gifts arrive in for.