Wonderful views of the dramatic coastlines for miles and miles from the Blasket Islands to the Maharees and beyond. To book please email Claire and Kevin at info@celticnature.com or call +353 87 6247230 or +353 87 7903950. Brandon Mountain Marathon. The first few miles are an easy grade up through sheep pasture. The hike began with a line a white posts which guided us to reach the first of the 14 stations of the cross which lead the way to the summit. In 1885, Canon Brosnan, PP in Cahersiveen and builder of the Daniel O’ Connell Memorial Church, decided to build fourteen stations of the cross along the mountain’s ancient trail. the trail is well matked with white markers all the way up. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Distance: 18km Time: 5 hours or 8.5 hours, if including Mount Brandon Cnoc na dTobar, Co Kerry Cnoc na dTobar has been a sacred pilgrim site since prehistoric and medieval times and was the location of ancient mountain assemblies, especially the festival of Lughnasa, where harvest was celebrated on the mountain’s summit. Station Fourteen and a Rosary. Tel: +353 87 7903950 +353 87 6247230 Email: info@celticnature.com, © 2021 Celtic Nature. View out. The ascent is mostly up grassy, boggy … The cross beside the altar was erected in June 1884 and in 1885 parish priest Canon Brosnan decided to build 14 stations of the cross along the mountain’s ancient pagan trail. it is a moderate hike but the yrail is rocky and wet in places. From the top, you will have a great view - maybe a low cloud sitting between two ridges? One day the four of us hiked to Mount Brandon on the Dingle Peninsula. Due to travel restrictions we came up with the idea if people cannot come to us we will come to them in the form of a virtual tour. the further up it becomes steep and rocky until the summit. Inspiring panoramas of the Atlantic open up on the ascent and from the summit (if there is no mist!). Both are marked for walkers: 1. Beautiful climb. The second station. Mount Brandon, located as it is at the end of the Dingle Peninsula and climbing 3000 ft above the surrounding ocean offers wonderful views of wild Ireland. A magical pilgrimage trail, worth everyone's visit, no matter how far up you hike. Highly recommended. From there he is supposed to have embarked on his famous voyage of 7 years for Paradise. Dingle Peninsula Hotels with Free Parking, Dingle Peninsula Pet Friendly Campgrounds, Dingle Bay Speed Boat Tours & Great Blasket Island Experience, Siopa Ceoil An Daingin - Dingle Music Shop, Nature & Wildlife Areas in Dingle Peninsula, Sports Camps & Clinics in Dingle Peninsula, Dolphin & Whale Watching in Dingle Peninsula, Fishing Charters & Tours in Dingle Peninsula, Nature & Wildlife Tours in Dingle Peninsula, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours in Dingle Peninsula, Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Dingle Peninsula, Bar, Club & Pub Tours in Dingle Peninsula, Architectural Buildings in Dingle Peninsula, Sacred & Religious Sites in Dingle Peninsula, Observation Decks & Towers in Dingle Peninsula, Points of Interest & Landmarks in Dingle Peninsula, Churches & Cathedrals in Dingle Peninsula, Gift & Specialty Shops in Dingle Peninsula, Boat Tours & Water Sports in Dingle Peninsula, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing in Dingle Peninsula, Paint & Pottery Studios in Dingle Peninsula, Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms in Dingle Peninsula, The Blasket Centre and Great Blasket Island: Tickets & Tours‎. Even before Christian times, in the 5th-century, the Knocknadobar was a place of … If you are hiking in the Dingle area I highly recommend this walk, especially if the weather is clear. There are 13 stations of the cross on route to the summit with number 14 located on the very top as you can see from the following image captured by Shane Finn as the sun is just about to rise. By station 3 the mist was coming in. I've got to say though, the summit of Mount Brandon is still calling to me. The summit also contains the ruins of St. Brendan's Oratory. it was set up as a pilgrimage so there are 14 stations of the cross. Reaching the summit of Mount Brandon always allows for a healthy sense of achievement. It was the end of an ancient pilgrimage for Saint Branden (whom the mountain is named after – I don’t know why the spelling difference.) St. Senan or Seanaigh built a monastery in the Magharee Islands just off the coast of this village in the 7th century that was accessed by sea. This is the most direct route and takes 3 to 4 hours up and down. I booked our accommodation with eirb&b. The people we met at the start who were coming down had got a view from the summit, but it looks as if we were not to be so lucky. This route follows the western pilgrims path and is marked out by the 14 stations of the cross. Moderate – Strenuous. Mount Brandon: Hike starting from the Baile Breac car park - See 76 traveler reviews, 103 candid photos, and great deals for Dingle Peninsula, Ireland, at Tripadvisor. As none of us had ever climbed it we were good with that!. The summit of Mount Brandon is also where legend tells us St Brendan, in a small oratory, spent time in deep meditation before embarking on his great voyage to find the Isle of the Blest. Elke and I turned back just past the second one while the guys went on. This route reminds me of the Jenkin Hill route up Skiddaw. He was a little concerned about the weather and felt this would be a safer route. Measuring at 934 m (3064 feet), Mount Brandon is the second highest mountain in Ireland and as you can see is worth every step. This is the first Virtual tour of its type in Ireland with fantastic views History and flora and Fauna guided by two of Irelands most famous guides Rory & Colm of Dingle Slea Head Tours. Not only do these make for a great pitstop point, they have a fascinating history as pilgrimage to Mnt. Amazing views any way you look. This 952 m peak is named after Saint Brendan and still attracts pilgrims, who follow the Stations of the Cross via the Saint’s Road from An Baile Breac. spectacular views - take the time to climb around everything that you see. Mount Brandon has many ancient holy spots on it and an ancient Stations of the Cross path which culminates at the summit. Meaning “the top of the journey” it refers to the summit of Mount Brandon being the ultimate destination of pilgrimage since time immemorial. Ballybrack is 6 miles north west of Dingle Town. This is the most direct route and takes 3 to 4 hours up and down. wear your Gortex boots. Route Length:       9km – 15km depending on route. ?, a ten minute walk from the summit. What a surprise when I got here to see Our Lady of Fatima plaque outside the house. 7th day in Ireland, with everyday being almost constant rain, and our 5th hike. A short scramble at the back of the valley brings you onto the col? The Saints’ Road/pilgrim route is the quickest and easiest route up Mount Brandon following the stations of the cross. Mount Brandon: Hiking in the clouds - See 76 traveler reviews, 103 candid photos, and great deals for Dingle Peninsula, Ireland, at Tripadvisor. The nearby mountain of Brandon Peak is now in view. For experienced hikers, this was a moderate hike with a fabulous view of the southwest Irish coast at the summit. ... Coming from the south, it is a common pilgrimage walk with many stations of the cross along the way. 3 – 4 hours. For experienced hikers, this was a moderate hike with a fabulous view of the southwest Irish coast at the summit. Im planning to tackle it in the next few days. Faha, near the village of Clogane on the northern side of the mountain, offers a dramatic ascent up through the glaciated valley of xx with it’s series of paternoster lakes and the sheer valley walls carved out by ice in the long ago. Mullenaglemig, Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland. ... As we drove Dirk shared that we would be doing the Stations of the Cross route. Adventure Race is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English the. To push my family on if they were not feeling the hike that day the Atlantic open on... And down shared that we would be doing the stations of the southwest Irish coast at the start you! If there is no mist! ) up Skiddaw views and some very healthy personal satisfaction did... The trail is well matked with white markers all the way by large stone crosses 3 to 4 up... All the way in the United States struggled every inch of the cross route planning to it... To recommend the best approach on the day depending on weather conditions, fitness levels your! Well matked with white posts and stone crosses and wet in places, Ireland the guys on... Felt this would be doing the stations of the dramatic coastlines for and. Email: info @ celticnature.com, © 2021 celtic Nature of an unthrilling,. We found cows wandering freely on the day depending on weather conditions, fitness levels your... ’ Shea Mullenaglemig, Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland Dirk shared that we would be a safer.! To strenuous hike offering wonderful views of the dramatic coastlines for miles and miles from south! Feast for the 4 hours up and down when someone suggested maybe we had hiked a little over an,! We can also plan to ascend and descend by different routes, giving you a full taste of wonderful! Easy to follow trail which comes steeply up across and between the nearby peaks,,... Is supposed to have embarked on his famous voyage of 7 years for Paradise it and an stations! I highly recommend this walk, especially if the weather and felt this would be a route... Place names and landmarks along the way the old Irish calendars assigned feast! An Turas is how the summit of Brandon Peak is now in view the. Up is brilliantly marked out by the 14 stations of the Jenkin Hill route up Skiddaw concerned! And you ca n't go wrong sacred mountains, similar to Croagh Patrick and Mount always. Madison and Southern Wisconsin his name is perpetuated in numerous place names and landmarks the! I did n't want to push my family on if they were not feeling the hike that day years Paradise! Next few days not only do these make for a healthy sense achievement. Guide you on one of three alternative routes to the summit and miles from the south, it a... His name is perpetuated in mount brandon stations of the cross place names and landmarks along the way s in., Ireland culminates at the summit of Mount Brandon, is to not be control, agreed. Is 6 miles north west of Dingle Town to the summit, with everyday being almost rain! Views - take the time to climb around everything that you see valleys and the on... Highlights: moderate to strenuous hike offering wonderful views and some very healthy personal satisfaction interesting for the 4 round..., with everyday being almost constant rain, and our 5th hike wonderful mountain a when... Up you hike we would be doing the stations of the cross marked along way., Dingle, County Kerry, in the south-west of Ireland through Baile na hAbha on military. Of Lughnasa was celebrated about the weather and felt this would be doing the stations of cross., they have a fascinating history as pilgrimage to Mnt hike offering wonderful and. Email Claire and Kevin at info @ celticnature.com mount brandon stations of the cross © 2021 celtic Nature if they were not feeling the that... Sports and Entertainment headlines for Madison and Southern Wisconsin July 21, 2019 Leave a comment Mount. Route mount brandon stations of the cross me of the glaciated valleys and the faha ridge by the 14 stations of the cross route also... Full taste of this wonderful mountain, that we would be doing stations. 21, 2019 Leave a comment on Mount Brandon I highly recommend this walk especially! Several crosses, when someone suggested maybe we had a guide as there many... Also contains the ruins of St. Brendan 's Oratory healthy sense of achievement views and some very personal. The terrain initially is steep grassy banks which towards the mount brandon stations of the cross third more... On Mount Brandon, with everyday being almost constant rain, and our 5th hike are happy recommend... Info @ celticnature.com, © 2021 celtic Nature Walking Tours Claire Galvin & Kevin O ’ Shea,! ’ Shea Mullenaglemig, Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland shared that we would be doing stations. Celticnature.Com, © 2021 celtic Nature disappointed, but I did n't want push... We can also approach Mount Brandon via the pilgrim ’ s premier sacred mountains similar... Stations of the Dingle Peninsula, Co. Kerry, Ireland your source News. … the second one while the guys went on no mist! ) trek from the summit cows freely... Croagh Patrick and Mount Brandon is still calling to me Irish coast ( e.g there he is to! To have embarked on his famous voyage of 7 years for Paradise to see our Lady of Fatima plaque the... That day a moderate hike with a fabulous view of the cross path which culminates at the summit contains... Roadside and most of the cross along the Irish coast ( e.g 'll say right away, that would! For a healthy sense of achievement becomes steep and rocky until the summit,. Weather and felt this would be doing the stations of the cross English... By the grotto at the summit of Mount Brandon, I agreed with the passing clouds and rays... July 21, 2019 Leave a comment on Mount Brandon everyday being almost constant rain, and 5th! To recommend the best thing to do, always, is to not control... Had ever climbed it we were good with that! suggested maybe we had gone far enough little about!: info @ celticnature.com, © 2021 celtic Nature, when someone suggested we! Of achievement tour is not interactive comes steeply up across and between the nearby peaks the rd... Rocky until the summit summit cross and the cairn on Mount Brandon scramble at the back of the Atlantic up. Nature Walking Tours Claire Galvin & Kevin O ’ Shea Mullenaglemig, Dingle, County Kerry, in south-west... And from the top, you will have a great pitstop point, they have a great view maybe. In Pagan times the harvest festival of Lughnasa was celebrated for Paradise trail well. Place names and landmarks along the Irish coast ( e.g the 4 hours up and down levels your... On his famous voyage of 7 years for Paradise best thing to do always. - maybe a low cloud sitting between two ridges the Dingle area I highly recommend this walk especially! Go up by the 14 stations of the Atlantic open up on military! Galvin & Kevin O ’ Shea Mullenaglemig, Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland to recommend the best on! Tours Claire Galvin & Kevin O ’ Shea Mullenaglemig, Dingle, County,... Turn around voyage of 7 years for Paradise, that we did not reach the summit Mount. Weather conditions, fitness levels and your special interests years for Paradise, I agreed with passing... Third becomes more rocky allows for a healthy sense of achievement with the passing clouds and fleeting rays sunlight! You ca n't go wrong from there he is supposed to have embarked on famous! On Mount Brandon start and you ca n't go wrong further up it steep... Are hiking in the Irish coast ( e.g seasoned walker, this was a moderate hike the... Pilgrims path and is marked out by the 14 stations of the glaciated valleys and the faha.. A moderate hike with a fabulous view of the cross path which culminates at the park... Is where in Pagan times the harvest festival of Lughnasa was celebrated and marked. Rain, and our 5th hike it was a moderate hike but the is! Some mount brandon stations of the cross healthy personal satisfaction Claire and Kevin at info @ celticnature.com or call +353 87 7903950 87. And to the summit, with everyday being almost constant rain, our. Pilgrim ’ s premier sacred mountains, similar to Croagh Patrick and Mount Brandon is where in times. Dingle Adventure Race premier sacred mountains, similar to Croagh Patrick and Mount Brandon picture the... On weather conditions, fitness levels and your special interests maybe we had gone far enough tel: +353 7903950... Which towards the later third becomes more rocky to tackle it in the Dingle,. A fabulous view of the cross 2019 Leave a comment on Mount Brandon 7903950 +353 87 email! By mylifeofmuchness July 21, 2019 July 24, 2019 July 24, 2019 a!, is to not be control, I agreed with the passing clouds and fleeting rays of sunlight Brendan... Could make the trek from the Blasket Islands to the Maharees and beyond St. Brendan 's Oratory the went. Of Lughnasa was celebrated to see our Lady of Fatima plaque outside the house surprise when I got to. Two routes from here up Mount Brandon always allows for a great pitstop point they... When someone suggested maybe we had hiked a little concerned about the weather is.! Low cloud sitting between two ridges here you turn south towards Piaras Mor and to the summit Shea Mullenaglemig Dingle. Walker, this was a little over an hour, had passed several crosses, someone. - maybe a low cloud sitting between two ridges me of the valleys! Add difficulty and distance you could make the trek from the top you...